Foreign friends of mine always say that they found “My big fat greek wedding” hilarious. My response is “This movie is so true”. And even though they take my answer as a joke… I am not joking.
Autumn started with a greek wedding and I gathered 9 tips to help you survive it if you go to one.
- Dress up! The dress code is usually formal so you shouldn’t be surprised to see people dressed for a red-carpet event. Jeans are not allowed and if you are a female this is your chance to go all in.
- Pre-wedding traditions. Find out if there are any pre-wedding traditions you need to participate it! Every region has their own ones.
- Church. It will be “all greek to you”. Ancient greek to be precise. That is the language the ceremony will be on so good luck with that!
- Do not spit on the couple (JESUS). There is a rumor that you have to spit on the couple during greek weddings… well we don’t do it. Spiting is considered rude unless it happens by your grandma in a very discreet and subtle way. However you can throw rice to the couple.
- Prepare for a food coma. Well we Greeks like to eat and what we like even more is spoiling our guests. You will want to eat everything so avoid tight dresses or trousers.
- Do not underestimate the power of water. Except for eating we like our wine. Greece can be really hot during summer and autumn so make sure you stay hydrated.
- Bring a pare of comfortable shoes along. While we love dressing up during weddings we love dancing also and we can dance for many many hours. Everyone is bringing a comfortable pair of shoe to do so.
- It does not matter if you don’t know the steps. I mean I get it, you want to look like Zorba but Greeks love any foreigner trying to dance the greek dances, just go for it and do not insult the couple by saying no to have a dance!
- Have fun! Some things might look weird to you but at the end of the day everyone will be there to have fun!